Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree105Likes

TLR 8ight 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-09-2016, 05:15 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 8ight 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: racer1812
Welcome to the 8ight 4.0 Wiki!

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:04 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default TLR 8ight 4.0

The story of the 8IGHT platform is the story of a champion - one that encompasses multiple ROAR national titles in addition to major wins on the international stage. The 8IGHT 4.0 buggy builds on this championship-winning heritage with updates to the suspension geometry and drivetrain layout that make it both easier to drive and tougher to beat.

DURABLE 4MM HARD-ANODIZED 7075 T-6 ALUMINUM CHASSIS
REDUCED FRONT DRIVESHAFT ANGLE
BALL BEARING THROTTLE AND BRAKE ACTUATORS
LARGE-BEARING SPINDLES AND HUBS
REVISED CHASSIS SIDE GUARDS
LARGER ENGINE MOUNT THAT REDUCES CHASSIS FLEX
15˚ CASTER BLOCKS WITH ADJUSTABLE SPINDLE HEIGHT
ALUMINUM SHOCK CAPS WITH THREADED BLEEDER HOLES
MOLDED DRIVESHAFT AND DOG BONE BOOTS
ALUMINUM SHOCK TOWERS WITH UPDATED CAMBER LINK AND SHOCK LOCATION HOLES
WEIGHT BALLAST-READY TO MEET ROAR MINIMUM WEIGHT REQUIREMENT
THROTTLE ACTUATOR BRACE
CAB FORWARD BODY
REVISED SHOCK BUSHINGS
IMPROVED ACKERMAN SCREWS

REVISED SUSPENSION GEOMETRY

The adjustable, 15-degree caster blocks make it possible to tune dog bone plunge by changing the height of the spindle.

REVISED SHOCK TOWERS

The shock towers have also been redesigned with new camber link and shock mounting holes that provide more tuning options for evolving track conditions. The result is a buggy that lets drivers of all skill levels turn faster lap times with fewer mistakes, particularly during brutal, hour-long mains.

OPTIMIZED DRIVETRAIN LAYOUT

The engine mount has been repositioned to reduce front driveshaft angle so more power makes it to the front wheels. Molded rubber boots on the universals and center drivetrain dog bones increase U- joint life by holding lubrication in and keeping dirt out.

LARGE-FOOTPRINT ENGINE MOUNT

In addition to its new position, the engine mount has been designed with a larger footprint that substantially reduces chassis flex and fatigue underneath the engine when racing on high-grip tracks.

LARGE BEARING SPINDLES AND HUBS

Front spindles and rear hubs have been revised to accept a larger 8 x 16 x 5 outer bearing for increased durability.

REVISED CHASSIS SIDE GUARDS

The chassis side guards have been updated for a better fit. They also feature indentations for the Velcro body strips.

WEIGHT BALLAST-READY

The chassis has been designed to accommodate hard-mount ballast weights so it is easier to meet the ROAR minimum weight requirement.

CVA AND CENTER DRIVE BOOTS

The CVA’s now are protected by rubber boots to further improve durability by keeping grease in and dirt out. Additionally the center front and rear dogbone coupler now includes rubber boots to do the same job.

REVISED THROTTLE ACTUATOR

The revised throttle actuator now uses bearings to further improve throttle and brake response. It also features a new brace that prevents flexing during heavy braking.

BLEEDER SHOCK CAPS

New bleeder shock caps and internal seals allow for easier shock rebuilds while using an emulsion shock set-up. New bushings that press into the shock cap further improve durability.

OPTION PARTS

A myriad of option parts are included which include lightweight 48 tooth spur gear, lightweight out drives, +1mm rear hexes, capped wheel nuts, aluminum bearing inserts, alumimum adjustable hinge pin braces and a host of other tuning parts.

CAB-FORWARD BODY

The cab-forward body moves aerodynamic pressure further forward on the car, which improves steering.

Key Features

Durable 4mm hard-anodized 7075 T-6 aluminum chassis
Improved suspension geometry
Reduced front driveshaft angle
Ball bearing throttle and brake actuators
Large-bearing spindles and hubs
Revised chassis side guards
Larger engine mount that reduces chassis flex
15° caster blocks with adjustable spindle height
Aluminum shock caps with threaded bleeder holes
Molded driveshaft and dog bone boots
Aluminum shock towers with updated camber link and shock location holes
Weight ballast-ready to meet ROAR minimum weight requirement

The story of the 8IGHT platform is the story of a champion - one that encompasses multiple ROAR national titles in addition to major wins on the international stage. The 8IGHT 4.0 buggy builds on this championship-winning heritage with updates to the suspension geometry and drivetrain layout that make it both easier to drive and tougher to beat.

Revised Suspension Geometry
New suspension geometry makes it easier for drivers of all experience levels to turn faster lap times with fewer mistakes, particularly during brutal, hour-long mains.

Optimized Drivetrain Layout
The engine has been repositioned to reduce front driveshaft angle so more power makes it to the front wheels.

Ball Bearing Actuators
The revised throttle actuator now uses bearings to further improve throttle and brake response. It also features a new brace that prevents flexing during heavy braking.

Large Bearing Spindles and Hubs
Front spindles and rear hubs have been revised to accept a larger 8 x 16 x 5 outer bearing for increased durability.

Revised Chassis Side Guards
The chassis side guards have been updated for a better fit. They also feature indentations for the Velcro body strips.

Large-Footprint Engine Mount
In addition to its new position, the engine mount has been designed with a larger footprint that substantially reduces chassis flex and fatigue underneath the engine when racing on high-grip tracks.

Adjustable Caster Blocks
The adjustable, 15-degree caster blocks make it possible to tune dog bone plunge by changing the height of the spindle.

New Bleeder Shock Caps and Seals
The new bleeder shock caps and internal seals allow for easier rebuilds while using an emulsion shock setup. New bushings that press into the shock cap further improve durability.

Driveshaft and Dog Bone Boots
Molded rubber boots on the universals and center drivetrain dog bones increase U- joint life by holding lubrication in and keeping dirt out.

Redesigned Shock Towers
The machined aluminum shock towers have new camber link and shock location holes that give racers more tuning options for changing track conditions.

Weight Ballast-Ready
The chassis has been designed to accommodate hard-mount ballast weights so it is easier to meet the ROAR minimum weight requirement.

Cab-Forward Body
The cab-forward body moves aerodynamic pressure further forward on the car, which improves steering.

Product Specifications
Type: Buggy
Scale: 1/8
Length: 19.6 in (497mm)
Width: 12.1 in (308mm)
Height: 7.1 in (180mm)
Ground Clearance: 2.4 in (60mm)
Wheelbase: 12.7–12.9 in (323–327mm)
Weight: Varies on equipment used
Chassis: 4mm, 7075 T-6 Aluminum, Hard Anodized
Suspension: Independent
Drivetrain: 4WD
Tire Type: Not included
Motor or Engine: .21–.31 size engine (not included)
Speed Control: Not included
Radio: Not included
Servos: Not included
Batteries: Not included
Charger: Not included
Gear Pitch: 1.0 Module
Wheel Size: 3.3 in (83.5mm)
Kit/RTR: Kit
Shock Type: Aluminum, Oil-Filled
Body: 8 3.0 Cab Forward, unpainted
Ball Bearings: Yes – Throughout
Fuel Tank Capacity: 4.2 oz (125cc)
Assembly Time: 1-3 Hours
Needed to Complete

MANUALS

8IGHT 4.0 Race Kit Manual - Multilingual (11.2 MB)
8IGHT 4.0 Race Kit Exploded View and Parts List (1.2 MB)
8IGHT 4.0 Race Kit Blank Editable Setup Sheet (583 KB)

DON'T COME HERE TO B17CH AND MOAN ABOUT THE SAE HARDWEAR. THERE'S ALREADY A THREAD FOR THAT HERE

Last edited by TIX; 11-24-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 PM
TIX
Tech Master

I had some time this afternoon and thought most of you would appreciate a thread with a fresh start for the new platform
Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 PM
TIX
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCSureStart
From PLanet Losi Racing on Facebook

Since we've shared this article we have received lots of question. One of the frequently asked question was if it is possible to convert a 3.0 into a 4.0. We have investigated this question and yes it is possible. BUT, it costs a lot and it makes more sense to buy a new kit and sell your 3.0. The 3.0 is still a great buggy, the launch of the 4.0 doesn't change that.

When you buy all 4.0 parts separately you have to order the following parts:

TLR242018 Axle Boot Set
TLR243033 Shock Cap Bushings
TLR243035 Shock Stand-Off
TLR241019 Fuel Tank
TLR247000 3/32 x 3/16 x 3/32" Sealed Ball Bearings
TLR241015 Front Chassis Brace
TLR244026 Rear Shock Tower, Aluminium
TLR244022 Rear Hub Set
TLR244025 Front Shock Tower, Aluminum
TLR243034 16mm Bleeder Shock Caps (x2)
TLR244024 Front Spindle Set
TLR242017 F/R CV Driveshaft Axles (x2)
TLR241014 Chassis
TLR242019 Spacer, Pinion Bearings
TLR241018 Brake Linkage Hardware
TLR242016 Front Center Dogbone
TLR241017 Engine Mount Set
TLR244023 Front Spindle Carrier Set, 15 Degree
TLR244027 Hinge Pins, 4 x 21mm TiCN (x2)
TLR241016 Side Guard Set
TLR245004 Ackerman Shoulder Screws
LOSA6942 8x16mm Sealed Ball Bearing (x2)
TLR241005 Bumper
This makes a total of USD 450,-. A complete kit costs USD 619.99 so it doesn't make sense to convert a 3.0 in our opinion. The list doesn't include the new 4.0 Cab Forward body. This because you can use a 3.0 body but have to make some adjustments, this because the engine is located more to the side.
Some more useful stuff
Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Thank you Alan. You're a good dude.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Will the CV Boots work on the 3.0?
Will the 4.0 Spindles work on the 3.0?
Will the Pinion Spacers work on the 3.0?

Based on the list above, I think some of the parts are not completely necessary if you are upgrading the 3.0 to 4.0. Some confirmation would be great.

I have purchased the aluminum rear hub carriers, no need to update in my opinion, just for a bigger bearing.

Can the throttle linkage bearings work in the 3.0 setup? With some modifications.

Just asking, I will be getting my 4.0 Kit shortly.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sfox1026
Will the CV Boots work on the 3.0?
Will the 4.0 Spindles work on the 3.0?
Will the Pinion Spacers work on the 3.0?

Based on the list above, I think some of the parts are not completely necessary if you are upgrading the 3.0 to 4.0. Some confirmation would be great.

I have purchased the aluminum rear hub carriers, no need to update in my opinion, just for a bigger bearing.

Can the throttle linkage bearings work in the 3.0 setup? With some modifications.

Just asking, I will be getting my 4.0 Kit shortly.
You'll need the 4.0 throttle/brake linkage for the bearings to fit, you won't be able to use the 3.0 linkage. The fittings for the brake cam are also new so you'd need to replace those too.

Have a look at my blog on maxbashing dot com of the build to give you an idea of the new parts (still can't paste links!)
Old 11-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RCSureStart
You'll need the 4.0 throttle/brake linkage for the bearings to fit, you won't be able to use the 3.0 linkage. The fittings for the brake cam are also new so you'd need to replace those too.

Have a look at my blog on maxbashing dot com of the build to give you an idea of the new parts (still can't paste links!)
Thanks
Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

It isnt until you put both chassis next to each other that you can see the improvments tlr made to the 4.0. Great to see they are tryin to reduce wear in the hard parts with the boots.lets face it. The rebuild money is in hard parts imo. Tray is almost dun and my new whip is ready. Emoultion setup in the new shocks is badazz also.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Old 11-25-2015, 09:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I ordered the emulsion caps for my E 3.0 and put them on tonight. Super easy to build and bleed and they seem to work much more smoothly on the car as well. I highly recommend them to everybody.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
I ordered the emulsion caps for my E 3.0 and put them on tonight. Super easy to build and bleed and they seem to work much more smoothly on the car as well. I highly recommend them to everybody.
What oil are you running in your shocks?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Curious to see if any of the team drivers run the shocks emulsion or with bladders.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:45 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shark2288
Curious to see if any of the team drivers run the shocks emulsion or with bladders.
The few I've asked have only ran bladders. I'm super curious of emulsion as well.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shark2288
I'll be building mine emulsion for next weekend.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:55 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The biggest change, is the motor/driveline moving. This changes the handling on the car by a HUGE amount. It really drives a LOT different, and a lot BETTER.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.